Friday, August 28, 2009

Salaam Malikoom! That is how we greet each other in The Gambia. It means ‘Peace be with you’ and you say it about fifty thousand times a day (on average). The person you are talking to responds with a ‘Malikoom Salaam’ which essentially means ‘And upon you too’. This is followed by a series of questions about one’s ‘home people’, work and general well being. By the time you are finished with your greeting you have often walked several feet past the person! That is kind of The Gambia in a nutshell, extremely hospitable and not in any big rush. I’ve seen plenty of good things and a few not so good things but in the end if your taxi gets a flat on the road the next taxi will stop to help them fix it without question.
I’ve been here for almost two months and this is the first opportunity I’ve had to post which tells you a little about the electricity/internet situation; there is very little of either. What they do have is somewhat unpredictable so there are a lot of brown-outs and surges. Oh infrastructure, how I took you for granted. Actually it’s been fine in terms of personally adapting to it but I do hope that progress can be made because reliable power would give the people living here a lot more opportunity, something they have very little of at the present time. Solar seems like a good possibility because if there is one thing Africa has plenty of it’s sunshine; which brings me to the title of my inevitable Peace Corps memoir, ‘It’s Raining and I’m Sweating in the Shade’. No, literally. It can be pouring (which it often does, it being the rainy season and all) and I will be sitting under a tree sweating. It’s sort of confusing because you think you’re damp from the rain, but no, it’s sweat. Those are the times when you understand why Gambians aren’t in any big rush.
The last two months have been filled with a lot of firsts. I moved into my first mud hut. (It sort of looks like a regular house, the mud is plastered over.) I’ve eaten out of my first ‘food bowl’. (More on that in a minute) I’ve worn my first wrap skirt, ridden in my first bush taxi, pumped water for the first time and seen my first troupe of baboons in the wild (10 feet away!). I’ve watched West African villagers play pretty impressive football (soccer for us Americans) and then seen them set up an equally impressive ‘disco’ (gigantic speakers connected to a borrowed generator) under a mango tree where they danced until four in the morning. I now know that I love Wonjo juice (a red leaf that is pressed) and am not terribly fond of ‘noos’ (rice porridge that is served for breakfast every day, no seriously, EVERY DAY). I’ve become aware of the fact that refined white sugar is at the top of Gambian food pyramid and by ‘on the top’ I mean that they love it beyond all other consumable items. It goes in their tea, in their porridge, in their drinks and just about anywhere else they can sneak it in. These aren’t dainty teaspoons either, a cup here, a cup there, the bags that they buy are gone before you know it. I’m pretty sure that The Gambia is keeping Hawaii in business (I’m just kidding, I’m sure that sugar is big business in Africa). I’ve turned down a fair number of marriage proposals and I’m on the lookout for a good ‘husband’ (preferably a little boy or a very old man) to keep new ones at bay; Americans = Visas (The immigration document, not the credit card) in The Gambia. I’ve taught in a Gambian high school and I’ve learned that I need to speak a lot more slowly if I ever plan on doing that again.
I’ve seen a lot of really beautiful things (African children playing at the pump), a few pretty disturbing things (the butchering of goats) and plenty of things that I will never see anywhere else (my ‘sister’ walking down the road balancing a platter of fish on her head while ushering a donkey along the way). I have loved my time here so far and I’m really excited about moving to my permanent site (I’m in a training village at the moment) and getting to work. I’ll update as much as I can and I’d love to hear from you guys so make sure to comment (in English please, my Mandinka –the local language that I’m learning- is really bad).


Fon notoo! (That’s Manidinka for ‘Until later’)

Teaching in a Gambian Classroom!





12 comments:

  1. Okay this is the third time. Let me see if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typed up my first comment and it totally vanished so I had to work out the posting thing first.

    I'm so excited the blog is up and running! With pictures too!! You rock. : )

    Great stuff up above. While you are sitting in the rain and sweating, Bella and I are sitting in the smoke sweating. We're safe but the mountains directly above us are burning. 500 homes evacuated in La Canada. Don't you miss Southern California? Lunch time now. Where should I go for my cup of refined white sugar. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Tan! Congrats on getting your blog up! So great to hear from you. I think you have been gone too long already. Brendan asked if that was you in the very top photo. :)

    I would send over lots of sugar for you to distribute, but I am afraid that would just make things unbearable with your suitors. The potential of a visa AND unlimited refined sugar? One can only be so desirable before it's problematic. Be sure to post pics of your hubby once you decide on one. This I want to see!

    So glad it's going well, even if you're sweaty. Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not just bookmarked; toolbar bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the first paragraph sounds similar to Turkey :]

    i laughed hard at "It's Raining and I'm sweating in the Shade."god too much humidity is something i can't stand.but you're sort of used to it aren't you, being from California?
    keep us informed about your husband hunt!lol.

    how has been the teaching?how are the kids?and how do you like it?for me it'd be one of the hardest thing to do.i have little to no patience. :(
    i'm so glad you're enjoying your time there.i hope you can somehow get more regularly online. i loved reading this. :]

    p.s. i have had the hardest time trying to leave this comment.d'oh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your first blog. Can't wait for the next one.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings!
    Glad you made it over this first hump! Do you get the Gambian equivalent of "What do we do NOW, Miss Hahni?"
    You are so missed by all!
    Hope this is all a wondrous adventure & experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tanie,
    We're getting Annalee up and running. Tough security on your blog. : ) I think we have it now.

    Love,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lightning and thunder, oh please. You, young lady, don't have the pleasure of seeing the hills above us burn up in front of our faces. Everyone is coughing and sneezing, but surviving.

    Thanks for the fascinating blog. I love hearing about your interesting experiences. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there,

    What an experience!! WoW!! I see you are teaching ;) So, after all, teaching is for you. You look great. Keep your spirits high. Your blog is fascinating. I am happy to know you are fulfilling your dreams.

    Pilar

    ReplyDelete